top of page


Inner East Social Housing Group works hard to maintain positive relationships between residents in each house and their respective neighbourhoods. We recognise that we do not operate in isolation but are part of a broader community. The purpose of this policy is to provide information on how IESHG works to support neighbourhood harmony and positive relationships between neighbours. It also explains how IESHG will respond when a resident breaches their Residential Tenancy Agreement by interfering with the reasonable peace, comfort or privacy of neighbours. 

We are committed to aligning our Neighbour Policy with the Victorian Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities.





Under the Victorian Residential Tenancies Act (1997), all residents have the right to live in reasonable peace, comfort and privacy within their rooming house, and also within their neighbourbood. Residents must not in any manner that causes an interference with the reasonable peace, comfort or privacy of any occupier of neighbouring premises. IESHG will not tolerate any form of harassment, discrimination or abuse towards any neighbour. This includes, but is not limited to, verbal, physical or any other form of harassment, discrimination or threatening behaviour related to racial, religious, cultural or sexual orientation. If a neighbour deems this duty to have been breached, they have the right to make a complaint.

We strongly believe that addressing disputes or complaints early reduces the likelihood of any further escalation. To this end, we take each complaint seriously and endeavour to resolve it quickly and amicably. We will involve all necessary parties and maintain confidentiality where possible.

Neighbours should contact an IESHG staff member to register their complaint in one of the following ways:



While investigating and resolving the dispute, a staff member will keep the neighbour informed. After notifying a staff member of their concern or complaint, the neighbour will receive a response from an IESHG member within 7 days. We encourage neighbours to maintain open communication with IESHG and inform us of any developments (for example, the concern continuing or escalating).


Ongoing or unresolved issue

The following information is from the Victorian Housing Registrar and can be accessed online at this location:

If no action is forthcoming, or you are not happy with the action or its outcome, you can make a formal complaint to IESHG. It is important that you tell IESHG that you wish to use their formal complaints process. The complaint will need to be put into writing.

Registered housing agencies are required under the Housing Act 1983 to have a formal complaints process for tenants and prospective tenants which they may apply to other complainants such as neighbours. A timeframe of 30 days is usually allowed for investigation resolution. 

If your complaint is about anti-social behaviour by tenants of registered housing agencies, there may not be an easy, quick solution. The Victorian Privacy Act 2000 limits the information too that an agency will release to you about any action it is taking.

Tenants of properties managed by registered housing agencies come under the provisions of the Victorian Residential Tenancies Act 1997. Any action to end tenancies outside of the tenancy agreement period generally involves a hearing at the Victorian Civic and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT). This may mean you will be asked to appear to give evidence. Prior to any hearing being scheduled, a tenant will generally be issued with warnings by the registered housing agency that their behaviour needs to change and given a specific time to do this.



If it is an emergency, call 000.


Related policies

Code of Conduct, General Regulations and Complaints and Appeals Policy


Legislation and standards

This policy implements the obligations of IESHG under:


Transparency and accessibility

This policy will be available on the IESHG website


This policy was reviewed in April 2021. It is scheduled for review by April 2024.

Neighbourhood Disputes and Complaints

bottom of page